Sides for Auditions: For Male- presenting please prepare one of the monologues, even if only interested in ensemble.
Audition Form: Please fill out this form and submit with your virtual audition. If coming to in person auditions you may fill out and bring with you. Forms will also be provided at auditions.
The Empress Theatre is pleased to announce auditions for the Utah Premiere of
Sherlock The Musical
Are you watching close enough? Sherlock Holmes, London’s greatest Victorian-era detective, and his loyal friend and companion, Dr. John Watson, are faced with their most dire case yet. When a high-ranking government official disappears, Sherlock will race against time to solve the mystery and uncover a more sinister plot than the sleuth and his companion ever could have imagined.
The game is on!
The Empress encourages performers of all ethnicities, gender identities, and ages, as well as performers with disabilities, to attend every audition. The Empress is committed to providing a space for community and inclusion free from discrimination.
Directors: Krystle Ricks
Assistant Director: Barry Ricks
Choreographer: Gracie George
Full Production Team List and Bios available at a future date
GENERAL AUDITION INFORMATION
For this production, auditions will be done in person.
Audition dates for Sherlock The Musical are Wednesday, October 11 and Thursday, October 12, 2023 6:30pm – 9:00 pm.
Those wishing to audition may come to either audition session.
Auditions will be taken on a first come basis and will last 5-10 minutes.
For the audition, individuals should state their name and prepare 45 sec - 1 minute in the style of the show. No accompanist will be provided so please come prepared with your own backing track/music.
Auditions will include readings from script sides which will be available on the audition site at empresstheatre.com. Must be able to do a British accent. Male- presenting Auditioners please select one of the monologues to auditions with, even if you're wanting ensemble.
If possible, please provide a headshot and resume at the audition.
Virtual auditions may be submitted if neither audition night is available.
Email your virtual audition to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit a youtube link to your audition in your email. If you are submitting a virtual audition please contact the above email for the sides.
Callback notices will be sent out no later than Friday, October 13th.
Callbacks will be by invitation only on Saturday, October 14, 5pm-7pm
Auditions will be at the Empress Theatre. Callback location will also be at the Empress Theatre.
9104 W 2700 S Magna Utah 84044
Callback Date: Saturday, October 14, 2023 from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
First Rehearsal Date: October 16, 2023 (may be changed, if necessary)
Rehearsal Schedule: Rehearsals will take place
• Monday – Thursday evenings (occasional Friday rehearsals may be called, as needed), blocked in the hours
of 7:00 PM – 10:00 PM
• Saturday mornings, blocked in the hours of 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM.
• Rehearsals may extend beyond these parameters, particularly during tech rehearsals.
Preview: Thursday, November 30, 2023
Opening: Friday, December 1, 2023
Closing: Saturday, December 16, 2023
• Casting Authority: The Production Team with Artistic Director Approval.
• Individuals who may view your audition information: Production Director, Choreographer, Music Director, and Stage Manager. Other approved individuals may view the information as needed, including Theatre Artistic Management, Theatre Stage Management, and more.
• Who is at Callbacks: Production Team (Director, Choreographer, Music Director, Rehearsal Pianist, Stage Manager) and Theatre Artistic Management
• Portions of this audition and/or callback may be recorded or photographed at the Director’s discretion. All recordings will only be used by the production team and will be destroyed after callbacks.
• Actors will be expected to help build, paint, and strike the set.
• There may be understudies and/or standby performers for this production, at the discretion of the production team.
• This production will have a designated day off of Sunday, meaning no mandatory rehearsals will be scheduled on Sundays. Sundays may be utilized for optional activities, such as set building or review time.
All roles are available. Attributes provided describe the character, not necessarily the actor themselves, but must be qualities the actor can conceivably portray. Roles are open to individuals of any race, body size / type, gender identity, and more. (The script calls for male-identifying actors for the roles Sherlock Holmes, John Watson, and James Moriarty)
Looking for strong contemporary musical theatre/pop vocals.
Male, 30-35. London’s greatest Victorian-era detective and iconic
mastermind. He’s witty, clever, complex, moody, with phenomenal
deductive powers. Pop baritenor.
Dr. John Watson:
Male, 30-35. A retired army doctor
who walks with a cane, Sherlock’s
loyal friend. Pop tenor.
Female, 60+. Their sweet landlady. Alto.
Male, 40-60. Chief inspector, Scotland Yard. Pop baritone.
Female, 25-35. Assistant to
Lestrade. Soprano mix-belt.
Male, 35-45. Head of Internal
Affairs, Sherlock’s brother.
Male, 40-50. Arch-villain and criminal mastermind. Pop baritenor.
Male/Female, any age. A London bReporter. Pop baritone.
Male, 25-35. A concerned Londoner. Pop baritenor.
Male, 50+. A wealthy Englishman. Baritone.
Female, 50+. A wealthy Englishwoman. Soprano.
The Young Woman:
Female, 18-25. A concerned lover. Soprano mix-belt.
The Mysterious Woman:
Female, 35-45. The Ambassador’s wife. Soprano mix-belt.
The Train Conductor:
Male/Female, any age. A conductor.
Female, 20-30. The Ambassador’s secretary.
The English Official:
Male, 40-50. An official.
An older gentleman; drives a carriage. Pop tenor.
Male, any age.
An officer of Scotland Yard.
A homeless londoner, Sherlock’s lead informant. Pop tenor.
Jane: Female, 30-40.
A homeless londoner, musician. Pop tenor.
Greta: Female, 25-35.
A homeless londoner, orphan. Soprano mix-belt.
Female, 35-50. Our first villain, Swiss.
The Kind Woman:
Female, any age. A woman in distress.
Male, 10-18. A young paperboy. Pop tenor.
Scotland Yard Officers, underground members, street vendors, and