The Empress Theatre is pleased to announce auditions for Shrek: The Musical
“Shrek, the musical”
Performing April 22 – May 15
The Empress in Magna
Director: Beth Bruner
Music Director: Jessica Benson
Choreographer: Sarah Walker Bringhurst
Video auditions are due by midnight February 5th
All auditioners must be available 6 – 10 pm Monday February 8th for call backs
All auditioners must be willing to rehearse in masks covering nose and mouth without complaints
• Auditions should be sent to
• They should have a subject line of: firstname lastname Shrek 1 of 1 (or however many you need to send)
• If videos are being sent as a link to youtube or Google Drive or something similar, they must have their security set so anyone with the link can open them. (This is so they can be shared with the production team easily.)
• The following four items should be sent as separate files:
1. The completed audition form to be found at https://forms.gle/dPiMRZGXP3rrnaHN8 , including complete conflicts
2. Video of a one-minute memorized monologue (or a two-minute memorized two person scene, if both of you are auditioning)
3. Video of 32 bars or 1 min of a contemporary, upbeat musical theater song in the style of the show (not from the show). The selection should best display your range, strong ability, and clear character. Perform MEMORIZED with backup track or piano accompaniment. NO A CAPPELLA.
4. Video of you doing the dance routine to be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N1-4ypeUMY
• Emails will be sent by noon on February 7th letting you know whether or not you are being called back.
We will be using a very small cast. Everyone will be playing at least two roles except Shrek, Fiona, Donkey and Farquaad. Exact combinations will be set after casting. In general we need ages 16 and up (or looking 16), except for three children:
• Young Shrek—boy 7 or older but looking about 7. Will do group singing and dancing
• Young Fiona—girl 7 or older but looking about 7. Will sing solo and dance ensemble.
• Teen Fiona—girl 13 or older but looking about 13. Will sing solo and dance
Pinocchio and Peter Pan can be played by males or females as males. Casting will be color blind.
Callback Date: February 8th, 2021 8:00am to Noon.
First day of rehearsal: February 10th, 2021.
Range of rehearsal hours: Rehearsal times are blocked in the hours of 6pm to 10pm.
Tech begins: April 10th, 2021
First preview: April 22nd, 2021
Opening: April 23rd, 2021
Closing: May 15th, 2021
Days/times of planned performances: April 23rd, 2021 through May 15th, 2021. Fridays, Saturdays 6:00pm Call 7:30pm Performance. Matinee call 12:30pm Call 2:00pm Performance. One Thursday and One Monday, 6:00pm Call 7:30pm Performance.
DISCLOSURES (check all that apply):
☐ There is a possibility that the production will be extended through ___________________.
☐ Costumes will be supplied by the production.
⬣ Actors will be expected to help build and strike the set.
☐ There will be understudies for this production.
☐ There will be pay for this production in the amount of ____________________________.
☐ This production contains sexual content.
☐ This production contains nudity.
☐ This production contains violence.
☐ This production contains culturally sensitive content.
☐ This production is accessible to actors who use a mobility device.
☐ This production will have a nontraditional audience seating arrangement.